An Introduction to the History of Psychology (Henley, T., Hergenhahn, B. R.)
Chapter 4: Renaissance Science and Philosophy
Chapter 5: Empiricism, Sensationalism, and Positivism
Chapter 6: Rationalism
The purpose of the Self-Reflection Journals is for you to reflect on the Reading & Study material and assignments in the assigned module. A Reflection Journal can take a variety of forms; in general, students are asked to apply personal experiences and analysis of course-related material in order to enrich their understanding of course topics. Each Self-Reflection Journal must be at least 500 words to ensure adequate depth of reflection. All sources cited should be correctly cited and referenced using the APA format. The journal should not be a regurgitation of textbook material.
What the Journal Must Include:
· Responses and reactions to class discussion, class readings, videos, and class activities on a topic. For example, what did you learn in Module 2 or from a peer’s group presentation?
· Reflections on the concepts and activities in course reading assignments, class discussions, videos, etc.
· Ideas or thoughts gained as a result of interactions with peers in class discussions or group project.
· Questions remaining about a particular topic.
· Examples of further reading on the topic.
· Suggestions for future reading and why they might be important.
Learning about Renaissance humanism, British empiricism, and Rationalism. Post your response to the following questions, being sure to address all aspects of the question thoroughly and referencing appropriate learning resources to support your response.
· Describe the four themes that characterized Renaissance humanism and give an example of each.
· Did Comte believe psychology could be a science? Why or why not?
· Assume a person robs a bank. Give the general tenor of an explanation of that person’s behavior based on reasons, utilizing Rationalism, and then on causes. In which type of explanation would holding the person responsible for his or her actions make the most sense? Explain.
Your initial thread must be 200-300 words in length and demonstrate course-related knowledge.