Week 4 – Assignment
Contributing Factors to a Strategic Plan
[WLOs: 1, 2, 4] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review Chapters 7, 8, and 9 from our textbook along with the instructor guidance. Additionally, review following resources:
· The Joint Commission E-dition standards manual
· Written directions for accessing the Joint Commission E-dition (Links to an external site.) standards manual
· Video directions for accessing the Joint Commission E-dition (Links to an external site.) standards manual
Strategic planning in a health care organization requires leadership to incorporate many factors. For example, they must consider state and federal laws and regulations as well as having comprehensive knowledge about the competition, financial resources and revenue streams, the organization’s patient mix, and have a good understanding of the scope of their own employees. Health care leaders are responsible for gathering data and creating a strategic plan. They are also responsible for guiding the organization in achieving the goals identified in the plan.
· Analyze at least two ways federal and state regulations can limit the strategic plan’s goals for a health care organization. You may choose topics from the list below or other topics you locate through research. If you locate other topics not listed below, you must get permission from your instructor to use the topic:
· Behavioral health
· Certificate of Need (CoN) or similar state requirements (expansion of buildings and services, number of beds, etc.)
· Civil rights, racial equity, and cultural competency in health care
· Environmental requirements
· Fraud and abuse laws
· HIPAA (patient privacy and portability of health care insurance)
· HITECH Act (information collection and security)
· Medication guides and new releases or removals of pharmaceutical products
· Partnerships with other organizations
· Patient and insurance billing requirements (e.g., physician fee schedule in Medicare Part B, value-based care, etc.)
· Patient safety standards (located in the Joint Commission E-dition)
· Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness (PREP) Act
· Stark Law (anti-kickback)
· Telehealth regulations and payment limitations
· OSHA (workplace safety)
· Identify two ways in which licensed health care providers contribute to the direction of a health care organization’s strategic plans.
· Provide rationale for each method of contribution.
· Examine financial incentives and reward systems for attaining or exceeding objectives.
· Who should receive financial incentives when the expected outcomes are achieved or exceeded?
· How can employees who do not receive financial incentives be rewarded for their contributions to the successful outcomes of the strategic planning goals?
· Discuss at least two management actions that could be taken when organization-wide and functional objectives are not achieved. This can apply to an individual leader, to a small team, or to an entire department.
· Provide rationale for each management action identified.
The Contributing Factors to a Strategic Plan paper
· Must be a minimum of three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word (Links to an external site.)
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
· Title of paper in bold font
· Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
· Student’s name
· Name of institution (The University of Arizona Global Campus)
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Due date
· Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
· Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
· For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) and Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.) , refer to the Writing Center resources.
· Must use at least four credible sources, one of which can be the course text.
· The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source.
· To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view the Quick and Easy Library Research (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the University of Arizona Global Campus Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
· Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.